The process of transferring ownership of a Meetup group requires action by both the current organizer and the organizer taking over. The new organizer must already be a member of the Meetup group they wish to organize.
Your subscription will not be transferred along with the group. The new organizer must start their own subscription when they step up and your subscription will remain active until you cancel it.
To transfer a group to another organizer, you must log in from a desktop or mobile web browser.
Current organizer instructions:
- From the Meetup group homepage, select Manage group.
- Choose Step down as Organizer.
- In the search box, find the organizer you want to nominate (they must be a member of the group) and check the box beside their name. Then hit Next.
- Add a custom message for the potential incoming organizer (this is particularly helpful if you haven't spoken with the organizer you are nominating).
- Select Ask selected members.
Nominated organizer instructions:
- Navigate to the Meetup group's homepage. Make sure you're in the "About" section in the top navigation.
- Scroll down to the "Organizer" section.
- Select Accept to confirm the nomination.
When a new organizer accepts the nomination, they will need to start a subscription if they don't have one already. At this time, the previous organizer rescinds their leadership role and becomes a member of the group or can leave the group.