The process of transferring ownership of a Meetup group starts with the current organizer and ends with the organizer taking over. The future organizer must already be a member of the Meetup group they will organize.
Organizers can only transfer group ownership via their desktop web browser.
Current organizer instructions:
- From the Meetup group homepage, select Manage group.
- Choose Step down as Organizer.
- In the search box, enter the new organizer’s account name who is taking your place.
- Check the box beside their name and select Next.
- Add a custom message for the potential incoming organizer(s) (this is particularly helpful if you have not yet spoken with the organizer you are nominating about transferring group ownership to them).
- Select Ask selected members.
Your subscription will not be transferred to the group's new organizer. They must start their own subscription when they step up. After you’ve transferred your group to a new organizer, you can start a new group or, if you’re not organizing any other groups, cancel your subscription to avoid renewal payments.
Nominated organizer instructions:
- Navigate to the Meetup group's homepage. You should be in the "About" Section from the top navigation.
- Scroll down to the "Organizer" section.
- Select Accept to confirm the nomination.
Once the new organizer accepts the nomination, they will be the primary organizer of the Meetup group. They’ll be responsible for all group membership and support. At this time, the previous organizer rescinds their leadership role and becomes a member of the group, and can leave if they want.