If you decide to step down as the organizer of your group, you can invite a member of the leadership team or a member of the group to step up as an organizer. If you're nominating a member to become your group's new organizer, we recommend contacting them in advance and sharing the instructions to step up.
To step down as an organizer, you must log in from a desktop or mobile web browser.
How to step down as an organizer
- Navigate to your group's home page.
- Hit Manage group.
- Select Step down as organizer from the drop-down menu.
You have two options for finding a new organizer for your group:
- Nominate a member of the group to become the new organizer
- Step down without a nomination
Nominating a new organizer
- In the search box, find the organizer you want to nominate (they must be a member of the group) and check the box beside their name. Then hit Next.
- Add a custom message for the potential incoming organizer (this is particularly helpful if you haven't spoken with the organizer you are nominating).
- Select Ask selected members.
If the member declines your nomination, you can to nominate a new organizer using the same process.
Stepping down without nominating anyone
If you decide not to nominate a member, we’ll notify your leadership team giving them the first opportunity to step up as the organizer. If you don’t have a leadership team or if nobody from your leadership team steps up, we’ll extend the invitation to all group members for two weeks.
- De-select any members that are selected.
- Select Skip and choose a reason on the following page.
- Select Next, and then Continue.
- Choose Yes, I want to step down.
If no one steps up to take over the group after a two-week period, the group will be closed. Learn more about what happens when you close a Meetup group.