You must close a Meetup group from the desktop computer.
We always encourage organizers to consider handing over ownership of the group so the community they’ve created can continue to flourish.
Low event attendance or member activity can feel discouraging, but it doesn’t mean you have to close your group. Our Organizer Guide is filled with inspiration and ideas to help you keep a group alive, rather than closing it altogether. For instance:
- If you need help getting the word out about your group, these methods have proven effective for many other organizers.
- If members aren’t showing up to your events, check out all the different ways you can build excitement and boost attendance.
If you do decide to permanently close your group, the information below will guide you through the process.
Desktop & Mobile Web
- From your Meetup group's page, select Manage group then Step down as organizer.
- De-select any members that are selected on the following page and click Skip
- Select a reason on the following page and click Next, then Continue.
- Linked in the paragraph of text under "Are you sure?" select the text delete the Meetup.
- Confirm with the Delete this Meetup button on the following page.
- Select Done.
When an organizer closes a group, everything about the group is permanently removed from Meetup, including photos, discussions, and member lists. We strongly encourage you to let your members know about a closure ahead of time. This gives them time to save any photos they shared or connect privately with members they’ve met through your Meetup.