Note: It is currently only possible to close a Meetup group from the desktop and mobile web versions of Meetup.
Maintaining a Meetup group can be a big commitment, and we totally understand when organizers want a break. We always encourage organizers to consider handing over ownership of the group so the community they’ve created can continue to flourish.
Low Meetup attendance or member activity can feel discouraging, but it doesn’t mean you have to close your group. Our Organizer Guide is filled with inspiration and ideas to help you keep a Meetup alive, rather than closing it altogether. For instance:
- If you need help getting the word out about your group, these methods have proven effective for many other organizers.
- If members aren’t showing up to your Meetups, check out all the different ways you can build excitement and boost attendance.
If you do decide to permanently close your group, the information below will guide you through the process.
Desktop & Mobile Web
- From your Meetup group's homepage, click Manage Group
- From the drop-down menu, choose Step down as Organizer
- Un-check the boxes next to any members that are selected
- Once all boxes are un-checked, Select Skip
- Select your reason for stepping down and click Next
- Click Continue
- Under Are you sure?, click Delete the Meetup
- On the following page, confirm your decision by clicking Delete this Meetup
- Select Done
When an organizer closes a group, everything about the group is permanently removed from Meetup, including photos, discussions, and member lists. We strongly encourage you to let your members know about a closure ahead of time. This gives them time to save any photos they shared or connect privately with members they’ve met through your Meetup.