Meetup makes it possible for you to send emails to your group members through our Platform. These emails are a great way for you to reach the members of your Meetup groups and help your community stay connected.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when sending emails to your group members.
Use accurate subject lines
The subject line of your email must be accurate and truthfully describe the contents of the email. False or misleading subject lines may violate applicable marketing laws. Plus, an accurate subject line makes it more likely that your email will be opened and read by the members of your community you want to reach!
- Make sure the subject line of your email correctly describes the purpose of the email or what the email is about. If your email includes a promotion or offer, your subject line should make this clear.
- Make sure the subject line does not state or suggest that the email is from someone other than you or your organization.
Keep your subject lines short
Focus on impact! Short subject lines grab attention in a cluttered inbox and are also clearer to recipients. Recommendations for impactful subject lines include:
- Give a clear call to action (“Join us” or “Meet other new members”).
- Mention a deadline (“RSVP by October 9th”).
- Shout out your upcoming event name and date (“Join us at our New Member Happy Hour on June 16th”).
- Avoid common spam indicators like excessive punctuation (“!!!!”) or overt sales pitches (“Buy now”, “Free”).
Your email should contain information that is relevant to your group members. It should relate to your group’s activities or mission. Content sent to members that is irrelevant, non-tailored, or repetitive is spam, and is not allowed.
Comply with all applicable laws
Your email must comply with all applicable laws (such as marketing and consumer protection laws, like the U.S. CAN-SPAM Act). The laws that apply to your email will depend on the type of message you are sending and where you and your members are located. All emails will include an unsubscribe link as required by the U.S. CAN-SPAM Act.
Comply with Meetup's Community Guidelines
You must also comply with Meetup’s Community Guidelines when sending emails through the Meetup Platform.