As an organizer, you can collect member dues for your group. Collecting dues can offset costs associated with leading a group like your organizer subscription, venue rentals, supplies, or refreshments.
Organizers in the United States
Before you turn on member dues, you must set up a Stripe account.
Turning on member dues
After verifying your Stripe account, follow these steps to turn on member dues:
Desktop / Mobile web
- On your Meetup group’s homepage, click Manage group then select Edit group settings.
- Click Member dues.
- Click Get Started.
- Set the amount and free trial length, then confirm with Save.
Updating member dues
You can change the price of your members dues at any time. Any changes you make to the price will only affect new members. Existing members will continue to pay the original price, unless you turn off dues entirely and turn them back on, or they leave and rejoin the group.
Dues can be turned off at any time from your group settings. Turning off your member dues automatically cancels existing dues for all members.
A transaction fee of 7.5% + $0.50 is taken from the total amount an organizer charges.
Organizers outside of the United States
Organizers outside of the U.S. can set optional members dues by using PayPal.
How members pay their dues
Here’s what happens after you turn on member dues.
Free trial periods
A trial period gives new members a chance to attend events before paying their member dues. Here are three things to know about setting up a trial period:
- If you’re turning on member dues for the first time, all of your existing members will be placed on the trial period that you set.
- Trial periods for existing members cannot be changed. If you change your trial period, the change will only affect new members.
- Members are sent reminders to pay seven days and one day before their trial expires.
What happens to members who don’t pay their dues?
You can track which members have paid their dues in your Members list.
Members who haven’t paid by the end of their free trial will be automatically removed from your group. If you’ve set up organizer approval for new members, those who haven’t paid their dues will appear in the Pending tab of the Members list.
Removed members who haven’t paid their dues will be prompted to pay before rejoining.
Refunding member dues
Learn more about our refund policy for member-to-organizer payments.