Note: WePay is only used for Meetup members located in the United States. If you’re located outside of the U.S., please refer to our article on setting up a PayPal account.
The WePay payment system is fully integrated with the Meetup platform, so you can easily collect member dues, event fees, and contributions. When you start collecting payments from members for the first time, a WePay account is automatically created for you. You will need to verify your WePay account within 30 days of enabling payments in order to continue accepting payments.
Once you verify your WePay account, all member payments are automatically accepted. If you don’t verify the account within 30 days, any payments made during that time will be refunded to the member 15 days after their payment date.
Information required by WePay:
- Personal information: legal name, address, birth date, phone number, Social Security number
- Bank account information: routing number, account number, bank name
If you’re the organizer of more than one Meetup group, you’ll need to complete these steps for each group that you organize.
Verifying your WePay account from Desktop Web:
- Go to the homepage of your Meetup group
- Select Manage group and choose Manage money
- Select Go to WePay (you will be redirected to WePay’s site)
- Log into WePay using your Meetup email address and password (Note: Do not click 'Sign up' or you might set up duplicate accounts.)
- On the next screen, click Verify now
- Enter your personal information and click Next
- Select Link Bank
- Enter your account information and choose how often you’d like WePay to make deposits
- Select Continue, then Finish (you will be returned to your Meetup group’s homepage)
WePay receives 2.8% + $0.30 of each payment as a service fee to process the payment. Meetup collects 4.7% + $0.20 USD to provide you with integrated, convenient features that aren't available from off-site payment processors.
WePay follows industry standard data security protocols to protect your information. WePay is a certified Level 1 PCI Compliant Service Provider, which requires an annual independent security audit of their processes and systems.
Read more about the security of WePay here.