Published: June 14, 2019
Meetup offers an application programming interface (“Meetup API”). These Meetup API License Terms (“API License Terms”) govern the use of the Meetup API, and are in addition to the Meetup Terms of Service. Except as explicitly stated, the Meetup Terms of Service apply in full to all users of the Meetup API. In particular and for the avoidance of doubt, any terms herein are governed by the indemnification, limitation of liability, and dispute resolution terms set forth in Sections 7, 8, and 9 of the Meetup Terms of Service. All capitalized terms not defined herein have the meanings given to them in the Meetup Terms of Service. For more documentation on using our API see our API page.
1. These API License Terms
The terms “Meetup,” “we,” “us,” and “our” include Meetup, Inc. and our affiliates. We use the terms “you” and “your” to mean any individual or organization using the Meetup API. Your use of the Meetup API signifies that you agree to these API License Terms. If you are using the Meetup API for an organization, you agree to these API License Terms on behalf of that organization, and represent you have authority to bind that organization to the terms contained in these API License Terms. If you do not agree to these API License Terms, do not use the Meetup API.
2. Modification of these API License Terms
We may modify these API License Terms from time to time. When we do, we will provide notice to you by publishing the most current version and revising the date at the top of this page. If we make any material change to these API License Terms, we will provide additional notice to you, such as by sending you an email or displaying a prominent notice on the relevant portion of our Platform. By continuing to use the Meetup API after any changes come into effect, you agree to the revised API License Terms.
3. Registration and Meetup Pro Subscription
In order to use the Meetup API, you must have a Meetup Pro subscription and register to use the Meetup API here. You agree to provide accurate and truthful information in response to Meetup’s questions on the registration form. Meetup reserves the right to deny your use of the Meetup API for any reason, including but not limited to your failure to provide accurate and truthful responses to Meetup.
4. API License
Subject to Meetup’s authorization of your application to use the Meetup API and your compliance with these API License Terms, including the Meetup Terms of Service and the policies and guidelines that are part of the Meetup Terms of Service (such as our Trademark Usage Guidelines), Meetup grants to you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, revocable license to use the Meetup API, including data or other Content made available via the Meetup API, solely to facilitate the development of applications related to Meetup events and groups using Platform data and developer tools. We refer to this license in these API License Terms as the “API License.”
5. Your Use
You agree to do the following in regard to your use of the Meetup API:
- Only use the Meetup API in accordance with the API documentation or other written instructions that we provide, and not attempt to circumvent any limitations or restrictions;
- Not create a security vulnerability for the Meetup Platform or systems, or for Meetup members, or otherwise test the vulnerability of Meetup’s Platform or systems, including by introducing any harmful, infringing, or unlawful data or material via the Meetup API, such as viruses or other malware;
- Not use the Meetup API for any commercial purpose without the express written consent of Meetup;
- Not undermine our commercial interests or make unreasonable commercial uses of the Meetup API, such as by substantially replicating our Platform or significant aspects of the Platform, to be determined in Meetup’s sole discretion;
- While you may charge for any application you develop (subject to Meetup’s consent), you may not sell, lease, or sublicense the Meetup API;
- Not abuse the availability of the Meetup API through excessive or unreasonable usage;
- Not cache or store data you receive via the Meetup API for longer than 30 days;
- Clearly indicate in the application that the application uses the Meetup API but is not verified by Meetup (note that you alone are responsible for your application); and
- Only use the most current version of the Meetup API.
6. Availability and Changes to the API
Meetup makes no guarantees with respect to the availability or uptime of the Meetup API. Meetup may conduct maintenance, make changes to the API, delete parts of the API, or stop providing the API at any time, with or without notice to you. Meetup may change the method of access to the API at any time.
7. Reservation of Rights
Meetup reserves all rights not expressly granted under these API License Terms. While you retain your ownership rights in your application, we own the Meetup API, including all intellectual property rights associated with the Meetup API not otherwise granted to you under the API License.
8. Competitive Materials
You agree that Meetup may develop, acquire, or license materials that are competitive with, or similar to, your application or any other service or product that you provide.
You grant us the right to use your company name, logo, and trademark for the purpose of publicizing your use of the Meetup API. You agree to obtain our written consent before publishing or using Meetup’s name, logo, or trademark.
10. Our Right to Monitor and Audit
You authorize us to monitor or audit your use of the Meetup API in order to verify your compliance with these API License Terms and to operate, improve, and protect the Platform. You agree to comply with any requests we make in the course of monitoring or auditing your use of the Meetup API.
We may terminate the Meetup API at any time for any reason. We may modify, suspend, or terminate your access to the Meetup API if we determine in our sole discretion that your use of the Meetup API undermines our commercial interests or for any other reason. This API License terminates automatically if (a) you violate any provision of these API License Terms, (b) we provide you with a written notice of termination, or (c) we discontinue your access to the Meetup API. You may terminate this API License by discontinuing your use of the Meetup API. If we provide you with any Meetup API information or documentation that is not generally available, you agree that those materials are confidential information that you must destroy following termination of the API License.
If any provision of these API License Terms is found to be invalid by a court of competent jurisdiction, you and Meetup nevertheless agree that the court should endeavor to give effect to the parties’ intentions as reflected in the provision, and that the other provisions of these API License Terms will remain in full force and effect.
All sections restricting your access to and use of any data you receive via the Meetup API will survive any termination of these API License Terms.