Note: Organizers can only transfer group ownership via their desktop web browser.
The process of transferring ownership of a Meetup group starts with the current organizer and ends with the organizer taking over. The future organizer must already be a member of the Meetup group they will organize.
- From the Meetup group homepage, select the three dots next to Schedule
- Choose Step down as Organizer
- In the search box, enter the new organizer’s account name who is taking your place
- Check the box beside their name and select Next
- Add a custom message for the potential incoming organizer(s) (this is particularly helpful if you have not yet spoken with the organizer you are nominating about transferring group ownership to them)
- Select Ask selected members
- Go to the Meetup group homepage
- Select Accept nomination at the top of the page
Once the new organizer accepts the nomination, they will be the primary organizer of the Meetup group. They’ll be responsible for all group membership and support. At this time, the previous organizer rescinds their leadership role and becomes a member of the group, and can leave if they want.
If the previous organizer no longer runs any other Meetup groups, they should cancel their organizer subscription in order to avoid renewal payments.